Items 1-12 of 34
- Special Price $489.99 Regular Price $669.99
- Special Price $42.87 Regular Price $46.99
- Special Price $40.24 Regular Price $42.99
- Special Price $56.01 Regular Price $64.99
- Special Price $49.45 Regular Price $55.99
- Special Price $44.19 Regular Price $47.99
WHAT IS AN ICE AUGER?
An ice auger is a tool used to drill holes in ice, typically for the purpose of ice fishing. It consists of a long, slender metal shaft with a cutting head at one end and a handle at the other. The cutting head is typically made of sharpened metal and is used to cut through the ice, while the handle is used to grip and turn the auger. Some ice augers are powered by a gasoline engine, while others are hand-powered. The size of the auger's cutting head and the length of its shaft can vary, depending on the thickness of the ice and the size of the holes you want to create.
TYPES OF ICE AUGERS
There are several different types of ice augers that are used for ice fishing:
Hand augers: These are the most basic and economical type of ice auger. They are powered by hand and use a crank handle to turn the cutting head. Hand augers are lightweight and portable, making them a good choice for anglers who need to move around on the ice.
Power augers: These augers are powered by a gasoline engine and use a hand-held throttle to control the speed of the cutting head. Power augers are faster and more efficient than hand augers, but they are also heavier and more expensive.
Cordless augers: These augers are powered by a battery, rather than a gasoline engine. They are convenient because they don't produce emissions and don't require a power source, but they may not be as powerful as gas-powered augers.
Auger extensions: These are long metal tubes that can be attached to the shaft of an ice auger to extend its length. They are useful for drilling through thicker ice or for reaching deeper into the water.
Ice chisels: These are not technically "augers," but they are another tool that can be used to create holes in ice. An ice chisel consists of a long, thin metal blade that is pounded into the ice with a hammer. They are slower than augers, but they are also more portable and easier to use.
BENEFITS OF ICE AUGERS
There are several benefits to using an ice auger for ice fishing:
- Speed: Ice augers are much faster at drilling holes in the ice than other methods, such as hand augers or ice chisels. This means that you can spend more time fishing and less time preparing your spot.
- Efficiency: Ice augers are designed to cut through the ice quickly and smoothly, making them more efficient than other methods.
- Power: Gas-powered ice augers are particularly powerful, which is useful for drilling through thick ice or for creating large holes.
- Portability: Some ice augers are designed to be lightweight and portable, making them easy to carry around on the ice.
- Versatility: Different types of ice augers are available to suit different needs and preferences. For example, hand augers are good for anglers who need to move around on the ice, while power augers are better for anglers who plan to stay in one spot.
DO I NEED AN ICE AUGER?
Deciding whether or not you need an ice auger for ice fishing depends on a few different factors. Consider the thickness of the ice, the size of the holes you need to create, and how often you plan to go ice fishing. If the ice is thick, an ice auger may be more efficient at drilling holes than a hand auger or ice chisel. If you need to create larger holes or plan to go ice fishing frequently, an ice auger may also be a good choice. However, keep in mind that ice augers can be expensive, especially power augers. If you are on a tight budget, you may want to consider a cheaper option. Ultimately, it is a matter of personal preference and what works best for you.